Our day takes in the following stops after traveling via Balclutha and Kaka Point.
- Nugget Point Light House – Short walking track to view fur seals, elephant seals and NZ sea lions. This is a breeding area for, sooty shear-water, shags and yellow-eyed penguins.
- Surat Bay – a walk along sandy beach, named after the sailing vessel ‘ Surat’ wrecked in 1874. A great place to catch up with the hooker sea lions.
- Purakaunui Falls (15 min walk, pictured) and or McLean Falls (40 min walk)
- Cathedral Caves – 45 min bush & beach walk to spectacular caves. These are only accessible at low tide so it will depend on the day if we can do this walk. There is an additional gate charge of $3 per person with this option.
- Curio Bay – One of the world’s finest fossil forests exposed at low tide. Might even get to see a Hector dolphins at next doors Porpoise Bay.
Not to mention lots of beautiful scenery, morning, afternoon and lunch stops along the way. You can either bring their own lunch or you can purchase at stops along the way. There are lots to do and see in the Catlins and these are just a few suggestions. It’s a long day, leaving Dunedin by 8am returning between 6-7pm.
Visit the Catlins as part of one of our private custom-made tours.